Dec 28 10
After more than a week away from any sewing, I finally got a bit of time to quilt today! I’m plugging away on a quilted wall hanging for a new class to experiment with Sizzix fabric cutting machines. I began by outlining all my applique shapes with invisible thread, then I moved to echo-outlining my feathers with a nice shiny polyester thread. As you can see from the above photo, that echo outlining helps to make the feathers a focal point and it accentuates their voluptuous curves.
Next up, I began adding quilted feathers to my applique tail feathers:
…and then I added my second feather offshoot:
…and then the third feather offshoot. I want these to appear to flow naturally as if they are also tail feathers, so I mark my spine guideline in the same curves that the real feathers have:
And that’s when I could let my hair down and start doodling away to fill space! I switched to a very lightweight Invisifil thread and began the doodling:
This is all so much fun! I’ll only have a bit of time to quilt before work the next 2 mornings, then I’m off to hit the road again! I’m living for next week, when I plan to hole up in my sewng room and really put the pedal to the medal! Until then, Happy New Year!