Jan 02 11
My New Year has gotten off to a really nice start, although it was rocky at the outset! We drove 9 hours to arrive in Asheville yesterday evening and when we arrived after dark, our car could not make it through the snow on our driveway! Our home here is on the side of a mountain and the driveway is very long and very steep, and there’s about a 15 foot long section that doesn’t ever get sun, so that snow takes a longer time to melt. Forget that it was about 50 degrees when we arrived last night, that gosh darn snow was still there! We got out of the car and slip/slided our way up to the house and got our trusty snow shovels and shoveled the driveway clear. I have to say, doing this in the dark at 50 degrees was much nicer than doing it in daylight 2 weeks ago at 15 degrees! We got back in the car and made it all the way up and had a nice New Year’s eve together by the fire.
I got busy in my sewing room today and started off by cutting out many yellow and light green petals using Sizzix Die #656672:
…and as long as I had those colors of fabric ready to go, I also cut out lots of leaves using Sizzix Die#656667:
(I don’t need any leaves for any current projects, but I’ve learned that it’s handy to have many leaf sizes available to throw into projects spontaneously, so I want to have more on hand.) My goal was to get all my materials prepared so I’d have “handwork” ready to work on after dinner when I was sitting with my husband. I always like to get a jump on the next day’s sewing adventure by fusing up small components or cutting out fabric pieces while we watch tv. Anyway, I traced all the large size petals onto Wonder Under:
…and then once I fused those to the wrong side of my purple and blue fabrics…
…I was ready to go upstairs to make dinner. Once we’d finished eating, I began my night of fusing. I began by adding many small purple and blue petals to the center of my flower-to-be:
I didn’t take any pictures, but I cut all those small petals (and probably a couple hundred more!) just by cutting up old scraps on my Sizzix machine. It is very easy for me to get all this fusing done while watching tv with Ernie because I just place an Applique Pressing Sheet on top of my Omnigrid Cutting/Ironing Pad and I’ve got a nice little compact work area that fits in front of the couch. I then added my next layer of yellow/green petals:
and then I added the final layer of dark petals. Here are my 2 newest bad boys. each one is about 14 inches in diameter:
They are cousins to their yellow counterparts…
…and they’ll all be part of the same quilt someday soon! I sure hope your new year is filled with all kinds of colorful and fun sewing projects!