Jan 23 11
Drumroll, please…and the winner of the Poly Quilter Threads give way is Nanette Fleishman of Burnsville, NC! I actually know Nanette from the Fiber Arts Alliance group in Asheville, NC, so I know these threads are going to a great textile artist! Congratulations, Nanette!
Now, what’s been happening with me…not very good stuff. I tore a ligament in my wrist and have now developed a condition called Guyon’s canal syndrome, where the ulnar nerve is trapped as it passes through the wrist. I can’t move my wrist in many ways before it gets very painful, so I’ve been partially sidelined by this. Ernie was nice enough to cut fabric up for me this week and I didn’t quilt all week, until this weekend when I felt that I had to give it a go. I’ve been in a wrist splint 24 hours a day for many days and that does a very good job of not allowing me to move my wrist in the ways that provoke the worst pain. So, I figured it would be pretty safe to try a small project, so I returned to that trapuntoed flower block as it wouldn’t involve having to move a big quilt around with my left arm and wrist:
You can tell which petal I stitched first…it’s the blue one at about 11:00 and the swirl is completely straight because I was feeling really nervous and hesitant with my movements. It’s kind of awkward to do this with a large splint on your hand and arm. But the “funness” of it outweighed the awkwardness of it and soon I became more confident. Here’s a shot on the machine bed that shows some petals quilted and some still empty. I think it shoes how much a little thread work can add:
Normally, when I know I’m going to do the EKG edge finishing design, I do that part before I do any “internal” stitching. This petal is so large that I thought the design in the petal would be more “commanding” than the edge finsihing design, so I stitched the swirls with the goal of adding the EKG work later. Here’s the flower with all the petal swirls done but before the edge finishing:
The swirl motifs are so large and the gold on purple stitching is so high contrast that I figured my edge stitching needed to be fairly unobtrusive. I ended up using a reddish purple rayon thread and stitching the design in a fairly diminutive scale:
…and here’s what the backside of the block looks like once all the excess batting has been cut away. This block won’t have anymore stitching done on it until the entire quilt has been pieced and placed into the final quilt sandwich: