Oct 28 15
I was finally able to get back to this fun experiment today! This began as my first experiment playing with the Westalee Circle Rulers: I started by creating a series of concentric circles (this was pretty easy using their ruler system) and then I went in and began filling in with some free motion work. (You can read Part 1 of Ruler Work in the Round by clicking here.) I actually ended up taking out some of my stitching because the designs I made just didn’t seem to fit the space as well as I’d hoped, but I’m liking the end result. I had to think about what I wanted to replace those designs with, so I just moved on and added the swags around the circles. Those are easy to do. I used a Quilters Groove Ruler and created my first “row” of swags. I then went and added multiple channels (a 1/4 in channel, then 1/2 in channel, then another 1/4 inch channel.) I threw in a string of pearls inside the 1/2 inch channel and then went back in and added the remaining designs inside the wide inner circle I’d made earlier. Here is a shot of when the entire inner circle had just been filled. I did this by stitching 2 different featherettes, each in an opposite orientation: Here is a tangential shot: My original plan for the outer circle did not pan out. Instead, I ended up stitching a design called “fingertips.” This is laid down very quickly and the only thing you need to pay attention to when you’re using this design is the orientation of the fingertips: (I know the color just changed dramatically but this photo was taken in a different place than the others.) The last thing I did was to fill the shallow swags surrounded by pearls. I swapped to a different thread color again (just because it’s fun to have all this color) and here’s how it came out: I had plans for another “zone” but I’m kind of running out of space here so I’m not sure if I’ll go any further with this or not. I DO know I can’t wait to try playing on another one!