Nov 07 15
Between making samples for my Craftsy class, samples for our new ruler work DVD, and just trying out some new techniques, “my cup runneth-over” with partially completed samples of “stuff.” So, it felt pretty good a few days ago to finish up a few loose ends. Although my original intention was to add one more “zone” of ruler work to the circle ruler experiment above, I had to finally concede that there really wasn’t even room for that. So, I finished off the outside with the “irregular swirl” background fill design. This shot is more of a close up: This is an old FMQ design that comes from the family I call “The Innies and the Outies” where the design is formed by starting with some baseline design (in this case, a “blob” shape) and then swirling in toward the center and then swirling back out, all without crossing any lines. You can add a lot more of a sense of movement to this design by stitching it with a variegated thread: Here’s one last shot of that first wall hanging where I was experimenting with my Westalee Circles on Quilts Template set: (I started another one that I like even more, but that’s for another day!) I also finally added some outer edge quilting to this sample I’d made this summer for my Craftsy class. Here, you can see all the temporary soap lines I used to help guide my frame design: I used a flexible curve ruler to create a series of mirror image curves that would act as my spine guidelines for a frame of feathers: …and then I filled in that frame by stitching the feathers: The last thing I did was to add an art deco border to a quilt I’d made for the ruler DVD: I couldn’t get a shot of the whole thing that showed the border very well: I like the center section: I’ve spent more hours machine quilting in the last 2 days than I’ve spent quilting in ages. It sure feels good to be at my machine again!