May 25 16
This quilt was luscious to quilt and I’m sad that I finished her up last week. She really made me realize how much ruler work can add to a quilt. All the ruler work was done using basic arc rulers (mainly our starter pack arc rulers, but any arc ruler can be used to create these types of quilting designs.) 99% of the quilting was done on my home sewing machine. Here are some close-ups of parts of it: Here’s a closeup of the center block: I love how the framing around the wreath of butterflies came out: The butterflies appear very 3-dimensional, almost as if they were trapuntoed. They’re not; that’s machine embroidery applique and if you stitch just outside the edge of all the applique shapes with invisible thread, they kind of “pop out” like that. The irony of this quilt is the only reason I made it was that I needed to test out a whole lot of MEA butterfly stitch-outs, so I made that large wreath. Once I got started, it was hard to stop. What began as a way to use up test stitch-outs has become one of my favorite quilt projects in a long time. I’ve already started another one!