A Quilt for One of my Brothers

January 8th, 2020


My brother’s favorite color is black, and I literally pieced 3 different tops that featured black but this is the only one I like.  I LOVE how black makes other colors more dramatic, but I do not find it an easy color to use in large amounts.  I’m really happy with how this lap quilt turned out, though.  The center is a giant Dresden plate that I made using the template from Missouri Star:

Here’s a close up of how those blades/fans are quilted.  I had drawn a soap line down the center of each fan and just stitched an “Aztec feather” inside each one:

I used a 4 in circle template to create an arc that ran from each fan blade to the next, then went back in with the Westalee Corner marking oval template to add a channel.  The area around the ruler work is quilted using the rudimentary “Plumify It” quilt design:

The striped border has a long straight feather stitched across it on all 4 sides:

The outermost border is quilted with feathers that are curling intensely that spring from one another.  I really love that effect and it makes me feel so great to stitch those that I literally think I could do it all day long:

One last shot…sure hope he likes it!

Black Friday Week

November 26th, 2019

Missouri Star is having a Black Friday week from 11/26-12/1/19 and they are featuring their education academy.  That means that this week, my new Missouri Star ruler work class is 50% off!!!

This class was an incredible deal at its everyday price, but now it’s literally a STEAL!  You’ll be able to finish all kinds of projects in time for holiday gift-giving once you learn how to do ruler work!  If you’re ready to take the plunge, you can get the bargain price by clicking here!

In the meantime, have a great Thanksgiving!

Online Ruler Work Class

November 22nd, 2019

I know…this is the second time I am plugging my new ruler work class with Missouri Star, but it’s REALLY, REALLY good!  You will be surprised by how quickly you’ll be able to pick up the basics and then move on to complex design work using rulers.  The video is so clear, so well lit, and so well shot that I don’t think the instructions could be any clearer than they are.  This class is a bargain at $14.99 and it is money well spent.  I would take it myself if I didn’t already know how to do it!

Even basic straight line ruler work can be transformative to a quilt, and it’s an easy way to highlight a special portion of your quilt and draw the viewer’s eye to exactly where you want it to be!  Don’t even get me started about ruler work curves:

Need I say more?!!  What are you waiting for?!! You can sign up for the class by clicking here.

Exciting Announcement – New Online Ruler Class!

November 12th, 2019


If you’re a quilter, you know that ruler-guided free motion quilting is all the rage!  Creating beautiful curves and straight line designs is fast, easy, and EXACT when you’re able to trace along the edge of a ruler or template.




Ruler work breathed new life into my quilting when I learned how to do it, and now I love teaching others how to do it as well.  If you haven’t been able to travel to take a class with me, fear no more, as Missouri Star Quilt Company is now launching my beginner level ruler work class online!




This means you’ll be able to learn on your schedule, in the comfort and privacy of your own sewing room, and I’ll be right there with you!  You’ll be able to work at your own pace and pause the class so that you can practice in real time, when the information and instruction is fresh in your mind.  On top of that, there is no dress code…come in your jammies!





Learn basic ruler work skills and then learn how to transform those basic skills to build even more complex designs.  The sky’s the limit with ruler work!





If you’re on the fence and want an idea of what the class is all about, check out this trailer video and you’ll get an idea of what’s to come:





Ready to try it out your self?  Click here and you’ll be taken to the class page on the Missouri Star website where you can join in on the fun!

Bold Colors are Back!

February 8th, 2019

My oldest brother needs to have bypass surgery next week, so I’m working on a lap quilt for him to use during his recovery.  He is an aging hippie who loves bold red colors and is also a graphic designer.  I went with another giant-scale orange peel pattern but in very loud and rich colors.  Here is a shot of it on my basting wall:

I ended up outlining the fabric color changes in the orange peel sections and I think that helps to accentuate the graphics of the fabric designs:

The centers of the orange peel blocks are quilted with simple ruler work:

The blue border is quilted with a loop-d-loop design and the outermost border is quilted with a series of arched swags with tapered channels inside:

Here’s a shot of the whole thing quilted:

Hope he likes it and hope he does great with his surgery!