Jun 01 11
That last flower block is done now. I ended up stitching the EKG edge finishing design after I’d stitched all the swirly vine-like structures inside the large plumes:
I joined the 4 blocks together and this is where the project stands now:
I’m on the fence as far as what I’m going to do next. It’s definitely calling out for something to be done as the border, but I’m undecided so far about what my next move will be. That’s ok, though. This is just being done on a whim, so there’s no rush to move this forward. I’m nearly done with the hand work on that small blended felt project:
(Those “tentacle-like” things are really stylized stamens. My plan is to put beads on their tips, but I think I’m going to quilt this and I’ve already broken 2 free motion feet on beads, so I’m leaving the beading until the very end!) This began as 2 cuts from Accuquilt Die #55029:
and the Appli-K-Kutz Straight Feather, Small Die:
I used the 2 smaller heart shapes from the Accuquilt die, and then I decided I wanted to applique a 3rd size of heart in cotton fabric, so I traced an even smaller heart onto a piece of mylar:
…and then used that mylar to prepare my applique shape by starching the edges and pressing them into submission. (There are 2 heart shapes because I was also working on another applique project.) I don’t have a picture of it after I’d appliqued it, but this gives you an idea of what I was trying to do:
My next step will be to attach this to fabric and quilt it. I have no idea if this will even work, but I want to give it a shot!
And here’s a tip on a great blog. I met Kay online and then had the pleasure of meeting her for real in a class. She blew me away with her free motion skills (you should see her feathers!) and now she’s posted a wonderful tutorial on thread painting she just did on a hummingbird. You can check out her blog here.